Client: Eastern Nile Technical Regional Office, Nile Basin Initiative
Location: Addis Ababa, Khartoum; Egypt, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan
Project duration: 08/2016 - 11/2016
Key characteristics: Nile, transboundary watercourses, water management, efficient utilization
The objective of this assignment was to assist Eastern Nile countries (Ethiopia, South-Sudan, Sudan, Egypt) in creating awareness, initiating dialogue and provide guidance and direction through a recommended “road map” towards the establishment of coordinated cascade reservoir operation mechanism. This road map is intended to outline the steps countries could take together to develop joint operating rules and accompanying institutional mechanisms.
The project gives a clear strategy towards coordinated operation of reservoirs, under special consideration of transboundary watercourses. The concept allows for efficient utilization of shared resources and managing trade-offs. This requires reviewing national policies, regulations, technical procedures and agreed regional framework.
- Review of national policies, regulations, technical procedures and agreed regional frameworks.
- Consultation with key stakeholders in raising awareness and outlining capacity enhancement.
- Situational Analysis
- Development of the road map including key legal, institutional and technical components
- Hydro-met data exchange mechanism
- Availability and application of basin-wide water balance model for joint discussion
- Adaptive arrangements for management of reservoir
- Information sharing on dam safety conditions and emergency preparedness
- Consultation mechanism during flood and drought seasons for optimal operations
- Environmental and social considerations
- Consultation Workshop with Nile Basin Initiative and representatives from Eastern Nile Countries
- Hydrological and water quality assessments
- Communication to different stakeholder