Location: India, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand states
Project duration: 09/2021 - 10/2023
Key characteristics: River Basin Management, Water Management, Risk Assessment
SYDRO Consult has been contracted by GIZ India to carry out risk assessment of Key Water Management Issues (KWMIs) in the Ramganga Basin using RBM Cycle Approach. The objective of this study is to determine and highlight deterioration in water quality (i.e., surface and groundwater) as well as risk of flooding due to encroachment within the Ramganga basin. The aim is to reduce the pollution and ultimately deteriorating water quality due to different pollution sources including point and diffuse sources.
This project is a part of the India-EU Strategic Partnership especially in the water sector which was established back in 2015. The aim is to transfer knowledge and implement the experience gained with the EU Water Framework Directive (EU WFD) and adapt it to the Indian context. National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the Central Water Commission (CWC) are the major implementation partners together with the GIZ who is providing international expertise to support the development of River Basin Management Plan for the Ramganga Basin in line with the Tapi River Basin Management Plan.
Services / Leistungen
- Extensive joint consultation with Indian authorities and stakeholders
- Selection of different Key Water Management Issues (KWMI)
- Preparation of risk assessment and evaluation report of KWMIs
- Development of hydrological characterization document for the basin
- River basin management and integrated planning
- Hydrological analyses and evaluations
- Surface and groundwater quality assessments
- GIS-based mapping