The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is a transitional intergovernmental partnership established and led by 10 Member States: Burundi, DR Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, The Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. Eritrea participates as an observer. The partnership was launched on 22nd February 1999 and is guided by a Shared Vision Objective: “To achieve sustainable socio-economic development through equitable utilization of, and benefit from, the common Nile Basin Water resources”. To achieve the Shared Vision Objective, NBI implements three core functions:
- Basin Cooperation: to facilitate, support and nurture cooperation amongst the Nile Basin countries so as to promote timely and efficient joint actions required for securing benefit from the common Nile Basin water resources.
- Water Resource Management: to assess, manage and safeguard the water resource base that supports the peoples of the Nile Basin through applying the principles of knowledge-based integrated water resources management to water development planning and assessment.
- Water Resource Development: to identify, prepare and facilitate investment in regional/transboundary water development projects and programs whilst avoiding negative impacts on the health of the Nile Basin’s resources through applying the principles of integrated water resources management.
The Strategic Water Resources Analysis (SWRA) is one of the most important knowledge products within the framework of the NBI. Based on vast data contributions of the riparian countries, the SWRA synthesizes different sector studies – so called building blocks – into one analytical report in which future development scenarios and options are specified, evaluated, documented and results summarized.
SYDRO has been awarded the contract to support finalization of the NBI Strategic Water Resources Analysis Phase II with strong focus on:
- quality assurance of modelling approaches
- consolidation of building block results and integration into complex development scenarios,
- coaching of expert team,
- designing and conducting country processes that integrate analytic work with stakeholder (riparian) consultation processes.
We are looking forward to working closely together with GIZ and NBI as well as with all NBI member states in order to accomplish a first class Strategic Water Resources Analysis for the Nile Basin.